> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > Are there continuous residence requirements for a Lawful permanent Resident who is under 18?

Are there continuous residence requirements for a Lawful permanent Resident who is under 18?

1 Answers. Asked on May 31st, 2017 on Immigration - Massachusetts
More details to this question:
I am a single mum to a now 17 year old daughter.I immigrated to the U.S with my daughter in 2008 on a diversity immigrant visa i.e greencard lottery,which means that once I became a lawful permanent resident in the U.S,my daughter also automatically became a Lawful permanent resident and was issued her own greencard and SSN.Her greencard is still very much valid but is due to expire in 2019.However,she had to leave the US sometime in late 2014,because she went to start high school in my country of origin,but now I want to bring her back this year for a short visit,and also so that I can apply for a U.S passport for her.(Sorry I forgot to mention that I got naturalized last year 2016,so she can be able to obtain citizenship through me before she turns 18).My worry is,I cannot seem to find any current information on whether there are any laws that can hinder her from re-entering back to the US?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 29th, 2017 at 12:52 PM

One of the difficulties is that everything must be done by the time that your daughter reaches the age of 18. Other than that, she can either try to give up the green card and obtain a visiting visa or attempt to enter as a permanent resident explaining her entire situation to Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry and why she should be so admitted. Once in the U. S., she would have to show that she is in your physical custody (residing with you) before making a citizenship application. Good luck! Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.



Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

359 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

112 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

78 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

76 Answers, 30 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums