> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > Can a person with a withholding of removal buy a house?

Can a person with a withholding of removal buy a house?

2 Answers. Asked on Aug 22nd, 2016 on Immigration - South Carolina
More details to this question:
Can people with such status get loans from banks to help buy a house?
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Sep 18th, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Banks are private institutions and what they do with regard to their rules of lending is generally up to them. Withholding of removal allows an individual to remain in the US as long as there is continued fear of persecution from the home country. As there is likely to be a long period of time during which individuals can stay in the US with work authorization, the choice of whether to take the risk of lending to such individuals is up to the institutions. There is no law of which I am aware precluding them from lending to such people.Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Answered on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 2:21 PM

You would need to contact bank directly. Whether you can obtain a home loan is not a matter of immigration law but rather banking law and policy. 

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

147 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

122 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

90 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums