> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > how can you change from a tourist visa to a permanent resident visa

how can you change from a tourist visa to a permanent resident visa

2 Answers. Asked on Jan 01st, 2013 on Immigration - Maryland
More details to this question:
my friend is traveling from India on a tourist visa, but once here would like to apply for a resident visa
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Jan 26th, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Most immigration to this country comes about through family sponsorship, employment-based sponsorship, asylum or investment. These all generally take time. I suggest that if your friend is truly interested in exploring his or her options for a green card, he or she should take the time to make an appointment with a reputable immigration attorney to discuss the options.


Report Abuse
David Troy Cox at Cox Esq
Licenced in MO
Answered on Jan 02nd, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Changing from B1/2 to permanent resident requires that one be eligible for permanent resident status.  That, in turn, typically requires a family member who is a citizen or permanent resident who can petition for the person to become a permanent resident.  Sometimes there is a very long wait, depending on the circumstances.  Another option is for an employer who cannot recruit any citizens or legal residents to perform a job to petition for a foreign worker to fill the position.  Employment-based permanent residency is hard because most positions can be filled by citizens or permanent residents, making them unavailable to foreign workers.

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

345 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

253 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

192 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Ms. Maryellen Sullivan, Esq.

Attorney - Maine

155 Answers, 4 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

147 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 36 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

87 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums