> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > How do I file my return if I recently got married to somone from another country, but my spouse has not yet recieved his green card or social security

How do I file my return if I recently got married to somone from another country, but my spouse has not yet recieved his green card or social security

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 04th, 2017 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Mar 05th, 2017 at 8:35 AM

There is no one right answer for the question, but we favor married and filing separately if the individual is overseas. Your tax status is in my understanding determined on your marital status at the end of the calendar year. If you were married this year and your spouse is in the US, you should file a joint tax return or file as married filing separately.  For filing jointly, you should be able to work it out so that your spouse files with you with a taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Any of the accounting service should be able to assist you and your spouse with doing that. Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

147 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

122 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

90 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Luna Law

Delta, CO

| Contact Now

Garces, Grabler & LeBrocq, P.C.

New Brunswick, NJ

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums