> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > How does one go about getting a work visa after being deported from illegal drug activity but was only put on Probation?

How does one go about getting a work visa after being deported from illegal drug activity but was only put on Probation?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 07th, 2016 on Immigration - South Carolina
More details to this question:
The person was deported based on finding 1 gram of cocaine in their home. When police came into the home and searched the home they had no warrant. The owner of the home was put on probation and did not serve time in jail, because the home was in his name and no-one would own up to who's drugs it was. What does this person need to do to request to come back into the country, if there is anything they can do?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 11th, 2016 at 3:49 AM

Was this person convicted of a crime? The fact that the search was without warrant has no bearing in immigration matters. The adjudicator of an immigration application will not relitigate the criminal case, but rather simply really on the disposition. This person will be subject to a permanent bar to admission if he/she was convicted of possession of cocaine. Depending upon the facts, the consular official could also deternine he/she is inadmissible based upon to reason to believe he/she is a drug trafficker. There is a limited waiver available under INA 212(d)(3) for nonimmigrant visas. There is no waiver for immigrant visas. In addition, this person may need to seek permission to reapply for admission after deportation. I encourage this person to discuss the matter further with an experienced immigration attorney. 

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

308 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

238 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

147 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

122 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

100 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

95 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

90 Answers, 31 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Bardavid Law

New York, NY

| Contact Now

Taylor, Odachowski, Schmidt & Crossland, LLC

Saint Simons Island, GA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums