> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > I want to be with a man from Canada, would it be easier for me to go there or him to come here?

I want to be with a man from Canada, would it be easier for me to go there or him to come here?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 09th, 2016 on Immigration - Kentucky
More details to this question:
We plan on marrying, so can we do a fiance visa? How long does that take, cost and are we able to be together before it's issued? How do we go about being able to obtain employment? What is the time frame for that as well?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 09th, 2016 at 2:06 PM

You may be able to file a fiancé visa petition. Have you met in person during the past two years? Do you intend to marry within 90 days of his entry? If so, you could file a fiancé visa petition. The fiancé visa process is two step. The first step is for you to file a fiancé visa petition. It will take approximately five months for USCIS to issue a decision. Once approved, your fiancé applies for a visa. This stage takes one to three months depending upon how quickly your fiancé gathers supporting documents and appointment availability. After he is issued the visa, he can come to the United States and after you marry he filed for his green card. He can request employment authorization after he enters by filing the appropriate application. You can read more about fiancé visas at

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

359 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

112 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

78 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

76 Answers, 30 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums