> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > Is there any legal procedure to abandon my asylum status if persecution is no longer a problem?

Is there any legal procedure to abandon my asylum status if persecution is no longer a problem?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 03rd, 2017 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
I've had an asylum status for 7.5 years, no green card. Persecution is no longer a problem and I'm considering going back home. Would I need to complete any formal procedure in regards to my asylum status, something like cancelling it? And will that affect my chances of visiting US in the future?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 05th, 2017 at 12:15 PM

No. You can go home but whenever you decide to come back or apply for any form of immigration or nonimmigrant benefit with the USA government, you will run into questions pertaining to your asylum applicaiton. 

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums