> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > My Fiancé Is On Immigration Hold And Is Being Held In A Local Jail Facility .

My Fiancé Is On Immigration Hold And Is Being Held In A Local Jail Facility .

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 28th, 2016 on Immigration - Massachusetts
More details to this question:
Exactly a month ago my Fiancé was getting out of court for a case he has for an Assault and Battery . Immigration was waiting for him outside and took him . He's been held and ice obviously does not give me any information if he has a bond or not . I'm 4 months pregnant with his child and I'm a high risk pregnancy and he's my only provider for now . We have an apartment together but since he's not working due to being in jail I had to give up my apartment and now I'm staying with a family member for now . Is there any way he will be able to get out on bond or with an ankle bracelet because I need him more then ever to help me with my pregnancy and living situation . He was my only help and now that he's been gone so long I'm having so many problems emotionally and financially. He worked 24/7 and the assault and battery charge was for a fight we had and I'm fixing that in court because there were a lot of lies in the police report . I need answers please . What can I do to help him out
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 12th, 2017 at 5:54 PM

Hopefully the charge can be dismissed or changed as a conviction for domestic violence against a fiancé is a permanent bar to immigration. With a dismissal or change in character of the charge, and if you are a US citizen or permanent resident and marry and petition for him, ICE would likely give him a bond or release him on his own recognizance or with ankle hold assuming that he has not had prior criminal incidents or a bad immigration history.Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

359 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

237 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

178 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

112 Answers, 18 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

78 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

76 Answers, 30 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums