> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > My husband is a citizen here but is unemployed for a few months now, is it possible for him to file for me?

My husband is a citizen here but is unemployed for a few months now, is it possible for him to file for me?

1 Answers. Asked on May 11th, 2017 on Immigration - Massachusetts
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 10th, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Even if your husband has been unemployed for a few months, he may still be able to file for you, especially if he or you has a friend or relative who is willing to be a joint sponsor and capable of taking on the support obligation. In such case, your husband would fill out an affidavit of support on form I-864, and the friend or relative would fill out another I-864 and checkmark the form as a joint sponsor. Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.



Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

318 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

234 Answers, 43 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

139 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

112 Answers, 21 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

102 Answers, 35 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

94 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

91 Answers, 13 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
BurnsBarton LLP

Phoenix, AZ

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums