> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > What are my chances of obtaining a green card/ apply for permanent residency while on probation?

What are my chances of obtaining a green card/ apply for permanent residency while on probation?

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 11th, 2017 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
I am currently a beneficiary of the DACA program, I was granted a work permit which will expire in 01/18. Due to making a wrong decision, I was arrested back in 07/16 and sentenced for a DUI under charge 23152b and given a 36 month probation period in 12/16 I will finish the ab541 program (3 month) within the next month and pay all fines and fees. I was not charged with any other charges and this is my first dui measdemenor and first time arrested. I never had any other run on with the police other than traffic tickets which are all paid I am in the process of getting married with my girlfirend of 5+ years who is a US Citizen and wanted to apply for adjustment of status since I no longer qualify for Daca. What are my chances of obtaining a green card/ apply for permanent residency while on probation? Or would I have to wait until my probation is over? Could I be granted a work permit?
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 11th, 2017 at 9:48 AM

You chances are obtaining a green card while on probation is slim to none. It sounds like you accepted the standard DUI plea agreement.  Since you do not already have your green card, more likely than not you will be issued a NTA (deportation proceedings) if you reapply for your DACA.  Depending on how you entered the into the U.S., its possible that you can adjust your status, but after your DUI probation is closed. You should hire an attorney to review your conviction and let you know what your options are concerning your immigration matter.

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

142 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

109 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

85 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

82 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

79 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums