> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > What are the process I should take to get my partner who's on a student visa to get permanent residency in us

What are the process I should take to get my partner who's on a student visa to get permanent residency in us

1 Answers. Asked on Sep 20th, 2016 on Immigration - Minnesota
More details to this question:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 20th, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Assuming you are a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you will first need to marry. Once married, you may file an immigrant visa petition for your spouse. Your spouse may be able to file a contemporaneous application for adjustment of status to lawful permanent resident depending on your immigration status. You can read more about family immigration at

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

240 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

157 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

130 Answers, 22 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

120 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

R. Sam Price

Attorney - California

91 Answers, 14 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

91 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Immigration Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Olsen Law Firm

Chattanooga, TN

| Contact Now

Alcorn Nelson, LLC

Galesburg, IL

| Contact Now

Lewis & Ham, LLP

Upland, CA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums