> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > DMV of georgia is not ready to renew a DL for a legal immigrant working on H1B with current visa expired 10th aug 17. I797C present for extension

DMV of georgia is not ready to renew a DL for a legal immigrant working on H1B with current visa expired 10th aug 17. I797C present for extension

1 Answers. Asked on Aug 12th, 2017 on Immigration - Georgia
More details to this question:
I am currently working on a work VISA[H1B]. My visa expired on august 10th 2017, two day prior to writing this email. As per your website . On providing an original I797C along with the petition and I94/Current passport with visa stamp, My DL should be renewed till December 10 2017. As per DMV[Georgia] they require a stamped passport in order to renew a license, which never happens since the extension of of the VISA comes as a new petition and not as a stamped VISA in the passport. So now even though I can legally remain withing the country for 240 days[as per USCIS because of I797c]. I cannot drive legaly. Please let me know why the rules made by DMV and USCIS are contradictory.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Sep 10th, 2017 at 5:57 PM

The reason for the disparate treatment of your situation by U.S.C.I.S. and DMV is that U.S.C.I.S. does not control local DMV's. Some local DMV's will respect the language on the I-797C of automatic extension of work authorization so long as the extension request is in the same class previously granted. However, it is left up to the local DMV's as to whether they wish to respect the language.Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

315 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

63 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums