H4 to F1

2 Answers. Asked on Aug 22nd, 2016 on Immigration - Minnesota
More details to this question:
Hi I am currently on H4 pursuing my masters full time and my university is offering CPT for my course. So I am planning get to change my status to F1. My problem now is : My spouse switched employer and his H1B Transfer along with my H4 transfer is pending, so will I be able to submit our previous I94 (which is valid till January 2017) along with the receipt of the current petition? Or should I wait until the current petition is approved before I apply for my change of status. Kindly request your guidance on this and really appreciate your response. Thanks and Have a great day!
Answers Showing 2 out of 2
Answered on Sep 18th, 2016 at 11:25 AM

You can submit your change of status application at this time with I-94 and receipt of current filing. U.S.C.I.S. looks at your pending application to see whether it is approvable. If it is, the agency will consider you in status for the change of status application. You can of course also wait until there is an adjudication on the pending H-1B/H-4 applications before submitting your application for change of status to F-1. That choice is up to you.Due to the limitations of the Lawyers.com Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Answered on Aug 22nd, 2016 at 12:56 PM

It is not clear what was submitted on your behalf with USCIS. There is no requirement that a transfer be filed for an H-4 dependent. Your status continues so long as your spouse maintains nonimmigrant status. Without knowing, what if anything, has been filed on your behalf, it is difficult to provide meaningful guidance. You may need to file a change of status and withdraw the previously filed petition/application. It may also be advisable to depart the country and re-enter on a student visa. I would encourage you to speak to your husband's employer's immigration attorney or consult an attorney privately. You can read more about student visas at http://myattorneyusa.com/student-visas.

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums