> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > How long can one continue to extend the Green Card?

How long can one continue to extend the Green Card?

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 18th, 2017 on Immigration - Florida
More details to this question:
If I am a Green Card holder who does not want to reside in the USA in the foreseeable future but do want to maintain the Green Card, is it possible for me to maintain it if I visit the USA for couple of months every year? I understand that I have to prove that I have the intentions of residing in the USA. Can that be supported by owning a house in the US as well as having invested a considerable amount of money ($500000 via EB5). Since the EB5 Program states that "The investor is expected to participate in the management of commercial enterprise either through day-to-day management or by assisting in the formulation of the enterprise’s business policy", does it show that I have a running business in the USA and hence connections to USA and support my case of spending the majority of my time outside the USA.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 4:09 AM

You are expected to spend more time in the U.S. than outside of it. Simply owned by a home and business may not be sufficient. You must actually be residing in the U.S. If you need to be outside the U.S. for up to two years, should consider applying for a re-entry permit as it is further evidence you did not wish to abandon your residence. You can read more at

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums