> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > How to begin the process of becoming a US citizenship after marriage?

How to begin the process of becoming a US citizenship after marriage?

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 20th, 2017 on Immigration - California
More details to this question:
I am from Bulgaria and I am here on a J1 visa. I am studying at Loma Linda university. I married to my now husband on June 27th 2015. I am seeking to now begin the process of obtaining a permanent citizen status.
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Apr 20th, 2017 at 1:49 PM

Hello, before you can become a US citizen, you will first need to apply for an adjustment of status, which is commonly known as a green card. If you are marreid to a US citizen you can file for your green card asap, and adjust your status without leaving the U.S.  Once you obtained your green card you can apply to become a US citizen after 3 years, if your husband assuming your husband is a US citizen. 

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums