> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > I am a green card holder but I want my husband who is a us citizen to file for a visa for my mother,how do we go about it?

I am a green card holder but I want my husband who is a us citizen to file for a visa for my mother,how do we go about it?

1 Answers. Asked on Apr 06th, 2017 on Immigration - Minnesota
More details to this question:
I am currently not working because I gave birth 50 on the ago now my husband wants my mother to come and assist me with my baby while I return to work and school,my mother doesn't have a house and my dad is late will it be an issue since my husband will be the one supporting her?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 06th, 2017 at 1:39 PM

It is doubtful whether there is a visa for your mother that fits the purpose that you wish. Typically a visiting visa is for a parent who only wants to help out for a short period of time. In your case, you appear to be contemplating a long-term arrangement. That is not the purpose of a visiting visa. You are not eligible to sponsor her for permanent residence as you are only a green card holder. Your husband does not have the relationship to sponsor her for permanent residence. In the event that you change your plans and decide that your mother will only visit a short time to assist you, she would apply for a visiting visa and your husband could supply the appropriate letter guarantees that your mother will not have to work to support herself along with an I-134 affidavit of support, proof of his income, assets, and tax return. Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

315 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

63 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums