> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > My wife i94 expired on 3rd Jan along with her passport. How to extend it.

My wife i94 expired on 3rd Jan along with her passport. How to extend it.

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 12th, 2017 on Immigration - Georgia
More details to this question:
My wife i94 expired on 3rd Jan along with her passport. Her passport was with Indian embassy for Tatkaal Urgent renewal, so she can't fly that time. Received passport on 10th from embassy and went to cbp. they suggested to file i539 with uscis. So is it the right way or anything else to be done.she is having her l2 visa valid till 2020.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:16 AM

Your wife's Form I-539 will likely be denied as she was out of status at the time of filing. You must be in a valid nonimmigrant status at the time you request an extension of status. Your wife will likely need to depart the U.S. and return on a valid visa. You can read more at

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

315 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

63 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums