> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > Nathan information on Marrying an illegal

Nathan information on Marrying an illegal

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 08th, 2016 on Immigration - Kentucky
More details to this question:
I'm wanting to marry my son's dad he has been charged with a felony of a crime he did not commit our son is now 20 years old can he still get a citizenship even though that he is charged with a felony
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 09th, 2016 at 2:19 PM
  • The first step would be for your son's father to become a lawful permanent resident. A person must be resident for a set amount of time before becoming a citizen. Whether your son's father can become a permanent resident will depend upon more information about the criminal case. Unfortunately, without knowing if he was convicted and if so, under what statute and the penalty imposed it is impossible to determine whether he can become a resident. Could you please provide more information about the criminal charges? In the interim, you can read more about criminal matters and immigration at

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums