> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > Need help in getting friend from Philippines to US - Has passport = Need Visa - Any and best way to get it approved

Need help in getting friend from Philippines to US - Has passport = Need Visa - Any and best way to get it approved

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 28th, 2017 on Immigration - Kentucky
More details to this question:
She is a 37 year old female who works in Danao city, Philippines. Want to get her a Visa - Can not get K1 = Does not have annulment letter from husband who abandoned her 9 years ago. She has 4 children that her mother cares for - She wants to come to US so she can better support them. She is poor = I can pay her trip and furnish her a home as I live alone and very much want her here. I can afford to bring her here and support her. She wants to work here to send back money for her children to live better. Appreciate any help with this and if you can help. Desperate to help her get here and help her have a much better life.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 03rd, 2017 at 2:31 PM

First, You cant get married to someone unless that other person is unmarried. The fact that she is still married is a problem. Why has she waited 9 years to seek a divorce?

Second, the fact that she wants to just come here to work so she can send money back home to her kids may be another problem. Immigration officers always look to the issue of whether a marriage is entered in good faith and is bona fide. If the agent reviewing your case discovers that she just wants to marry an American citizen so she can work here, and send money back to the Phillipines,  she may not get approved. 

I would need to know alot more information before giving more advice, but based on your brief fact pattern those are two issues that may be a big problem

Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

331 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

243 Answers, 46 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

173 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

99 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

90 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

89 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

68 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums