> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > So if you've state in job applications that you are a citizen . can you still fix your status , Ive heard its a ban for life .can you pay a fine

So if you've state in job applications that you are a citizen . can you still fix your status , Ive heard its a ban for life .can you pay a fine

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 17th, 2017 on Immigration - Texas
More details to this question:
Been in the states for 26 years , came as a child . my mothers visa and mine were taken away . im married to a citizen and have to kids. Ive only been able to find work when i state yes I'm a citizen on job applications and using fake ss. Is this a ban for life or is there a way to fix my status . please help
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Aug 16th, 2017 at 6:13 PM

An individual's misrepresentation that he or she was a US citizen while filling out the I-9 form for employment is a permanent bar in most cases in which the misrepresentation occurred on or after September 30, 1996. I note that many immigration officers do not go after this point in immigration cases. Also that the I-9 form has boxes in which people can indicate whether they are citizens or nationals of the United States. Many people who have been here most of their lives consider themselves nationals of the country even if not citizens. They may not technically fit the definition of national, but may believe that they are nationals nevertheless.Due to the limitations of the Forums, Alan Lee, Esq.'s (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided herein by the Firm is general, and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence.


Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

315 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

220 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

180 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

103 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

65 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

63 Answers, 26 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums