> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Immigration > What do we do before an ice judge if we cant afford a lawyer?

What do we do before an ice judge if we cant afford a lawyer?

1 Answers. Asked on Dec 28th, 2011 on Immigration - Georgia
More details to this question:
My boyfriend is a perminate resident in ice custody for a violation of a TPO,and a pending charge of a terristic threat.He has 2 misdemeaners and a pending felony charge that is supposed to be reduced.We were wondering if we have a chance to fight this due to these aggravated felonies?His mother was killed in the country that he was from.and he has 2 us citizen children. he has lived here for 22years.Were at a loss and need some advise please
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jan 12th, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hello Anonymous,

Generally, in removal proceedings where a person has criminal convictions, it is very important to seek competent legal representation. If you or your family cannot afford to hire a lawyer personally, you may want to see if you can find a pro-bono attorney. Some immigration courts have a list of agencies or attorneys who will represent you without a fee and can provide you with this list upon request. Good luck.

Notes: This information is of a general nature and is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.


Report Abuse
Regardless of your situation, U.S. immigration law can be confusing. Are you seeking to come to the United States for pleasure, business or to attend school? Do you want to stay here just temporarily, for a longer period of time or live here permanently? Are you a permanent resident or seeking citizenship? If you want to come to the United States, immigration lawyers can help determine your eligibility for various types of visas and guide you through the application process. If you've already arrived in the United States, an immigration attorney can determine whether you're eligible for permanent residency and if you can bring family members into the country to live with you. Immigration law firms can also work with individuals who have entered the country illegally, overstayed their visas or violated the conditions of their visas and are facing removal or deportation proceedings.
Have an Immigration Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

326 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

241 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

177 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

104 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

97 Answers, 17 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

85 Answers, 34 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

69 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums